View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
As far as Ammo goes he's not going to have very much until he gets the remnants of the local Civilization to reverse engineer the ammo and weapons.
I was just thinking about that a while ago, how hard would it be to make ammo if you were transported back in time with a modern firearm?
1) Bullets: Dead easy, lead and a mould
2) Powder: Gunpowder has been around for a very long time. Black powder would work, even if it's weak and smokey (right?). And if you're talking really far back in history, well, who doesn't know how to make gunpowder? It's just saltpeter and sulphur? and... Okay, the answer is me. I don't know how to make gunpowder. But it's not uncommon knowledge.
3) Brass: Reusable on a limited basis. I think it would be fairly difficult to make more. Even if you're somewhere/when that's technically capable of making the right metal in the right shape to acceptable tolerances, some random person who just popped out of a time vortex is going to have a difficult time finding someone with the ability and convincing them to cooperate.
Think about it, if some alien popped out of the warp right now and needed someone to make them some more 17.4x98pb hemi-toroidal brass for their model 9843 Zerx & Traxis, they would not have an easy time of it.
4) Primers: I have no idea how to make or substitute primers. I don't even know what 'fulminate' is.