View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 01:44 AM

Question Strange things

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
My personal theory is that it's more of an assumption on the part of the game developers that firearm manufacturers would enforce their copyrights without there ever being any precedent of them doing so. Video games were not the entertainment powerhouse in the early 90's that they are now, so it would make sense for them to just skirt the issue entirely by just making fake names for everything instead of taking the risk of potentially raising the ire of the entire weapons industry.

And as far as using real names, I think Rainbow 6 was the first, and nothing happened to them.

If I'm wrong about either, I'd welcome the correction.
It's not relevant to this wiki, but I could take a screenshot of one of the opening screens to SWAT 4 where there's lots of legal screed showing how the use the Colt and Benelli trademarks "with permission," which means Sierra Entertainment (now part of Activision, which merged with Blizzard to form Activision-Blizzard or Acti-Blizz) had to approach those two companies to get permission to use their product names.

Why Glock and H&K didn't also approve of their product names being used for SWAT 4 is beyond me. Aren't Glock pistols and the H&K MP5 two of the most prevalent and therefore the most symbolic examples of police weaponry?