View Single Post
Old 02-13-2009, 12:28 AM
IMFDB Admin

I like this idea. One myth in films that people somehow never believe is that big guns DON'T launch you ten feet through the air.

Some defenses by them:

First, improper declaration: "Dude, a .45 ACP round will knock you off your feet. A 9mm is a pussy round that practically deflects off the skin."

You explain how stupid this is, he responds:

"Really?! Well, a 12 Gauge shotgun at close range will send you flying. You're a loser and don't know shit about guns. Go hang yourself"

Nope, no different, shotgun round is the same, and I'm rather knowledgable in guns. He responds in shock:

"NO WAY! A .50 caliber bullet will knock you out of the atmosphere. It will sever limbs and blow you up! I've seen it happen." (he fails to mention he sees this in COD4, not real life)

No, may leave a big hole but you won't go flying or blow up.

This is based on a conversation I had with a 12 year old Rainbow Six: Vegas fan on youtube.

I used to chat with a guy on another chatroom called the Mess where he told me how he was a .50 sniper in the USMC and he had to shoot guard dogs under orders (didn't like doing it), and even a dog doesn't blow up.

Ever seen Quigley Down Under with Tom Selleck? He shoots one guy with his .45-110 Sharps 1874 and the guy is litterally sent into a full body flip.

Also happens in Rambo (2008), and The Quick and the Dead (1995). It is a common movie myth and it is pure garbage. Bullets, no matter how big, don't send you flying. Infact, velocity has more to do with launching people than size. A .45 ACP round is big and slow. It stops in the body and can stop a charging man because the energy of the round stops in the body. 9mms are fast and small, they tend to pass through the body and the energy is lost. Many big game hunters use low velocity rounds for this exact reason.

Truth is, bullets don't launch people through the air, it isn't logically possible. Even Mythbusters proved it. Hope it makes the page.