View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 07:56 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default How about an Urban Myths page? (about guns in movies)

This idea stemmed from a comment from a woman I know who was scandalized that I worked with and owned firearms. When I was talking about one of the large tank collections in California and the work done on military movies, she made the comment "Oh, I thought they borrowed tanks from the Army". I did a double take .... 'You said WHAT?!?!?!"

She also assumed that all guns that fired in movies and television were either "borrowed from the police or ARMY" and that they were not privately owned (or owned by a private sector company).

Certainly in some (RARE) instances a film or show will get help from the Military (i.e. Stripes got a TON of help from the 3rd Armored division at Fort Knox, Goldfinger used active Army units as extras and Battle of the Bulge and Patton used the Spanish Army's M47 tanks as fake Panzers) but seriously people. Government Entities like the Nation's military has better things to do than spend Taxpayer's money loaning or renting their stuff to movie productions.

Also this woman didn't understand the concept of "blank adaption" and she (like some script writers) thought that blanks were interchangeable with live rounds in autoloading weapons (like MP5s). (She must have watched Die Hard 2 )

So I was wondering about a movie gun primer (not for the majority of our members/users, who know quite a bit about guns) but for the casual "gun ignorant" visitors who come here to check out the weapons in their favorite film.

Thoughts? But frankly I don't know how to put this type of page on this site. The limitations of this wiki format I suppose.