View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
What is this Marlin .44 Magnum you speak of? A nice gun my dad has is a Ruger Deerstalker in .44 Magnum. It loads and shoots like a shotgun and it's nice to shoot.
Mine is a 1894s with a low powered Weaver scope on it. It's a nice little Brush gun. Unfortunantly where I go backpacking durring the summer they frown upon people carrying Rifles around for protection that and you have to make every single ounce of weight count. In the past two years we have had two bear encounters. The first one was when I looked to my left down a hill and Smokey was makeing tracks. I looked at the bears dissapearing rump and then down to the cheap Phoenix arms .22 on my hip. At that time I was wishing for a friends issue M-203. Last year my Grandfather's Glock paid for it'self when we had a probable garbage bear try to enter camp and go after the food supplies.

It's stuff like that wich makes you want a rifle and as they are not kosher with the Forest Rangers I am going with the next best thing. A Scoped .44 Magnum revolver, I chose the .44 as I already reload that caliber and a .454 would just be increasing the weight I have to carry.