View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 11:29 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Regarding Talk pages: Even if it doesn't save much space on the server (and even if server space isn't of much relevance), it's still nice to clean them up. I couldn't even check my Talk page on my phone because it was so huge. I deleted all content from earlier than January 1, 2010 and now I can actually check the updates when I'm away from my laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Also consider THIS scenario. It's late. You've just uploaded a BUNCH of screencaps, but you decide to go to sleep and wait until the next free moment you have to formally build your movie page.

An AUTO DELETE scheduled time comes and WHOOOSH. Everything you just spent hours doing is automatically deleted, because you didn't immediately put it on your movie page right after you uploaded it.

I've done this. I've accidentally deleted what I thought was a dead file and got a private message "Hey! Why did you delete that file, I was going to put it on the page, but you beat me to the punch". Doh! I had to apologize and restore the file, also feeling a bit like a jerk.

Now imagine a program doing that automatically en masse.
Ah, I understand. I can't exactly relate, because I always put images that I upload onto pages immediately after I upload them. What you are saying makes sense. That being said, I wish there were a way to make deleting unused files in bulk easier (even if it's not just a simple purge). But I also admit that I have no idea how we would do that.