View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
But I have never created a gun out of thin air with PS. I think it should be avoided if at all possible. If the item is not possible to be created in real life, then the image should be listed as an 'artist' approximation using photoshop and crediting the original source material.
Well, I haven't stated any intention to make fake guns and pass them off as real. Considering that I've made this thread under a username that I commonly use and the images can be easily traced back here to where I outright state that they're fakes, there should be little issue unless a forum member steals the pictures and tries to use them elsewhere. In that case, this thread will provide an immediate source for them (and I list all of the parts I used and unique source images if necessary).

Quote:
All right, let's see how close I can get. It's easiest to make an image if I have a blank white source (like the ones on IMFDB) so I can easily mix and match the parts without editing out the background.

This one uses an AK-101 as the base, with the pistol grip from an Arsenal 5.56mm AR-M4SF seen here. The drum is a standard AK 75-round drum from an AIMS source picture. The rails come from this AK used for the Modern Warfare 2 article. I went into Pimp My Gun myself to check on the stock, and found that it's an ACE SOCOM stock. Sourced from redwolfairsoft.com. Flash hider is taken from this Mk. 14 EBR. The rail along the top comes from a Kerbs Custom railed top from Midway USA. The backup rear sight was probably the hardest, since there's almost no photos I could find of just the sight in profile. But I eventually found a set of A.R.M.S. on Mitchell Supply that I could use.

I left a little nub under the barrel like in the photo that the cleaning rod used to be attached to. Moved the front sight to the gas block and removed the rear sight entirely (since a BUIS would make it redundant).

Still not a perfect replica, though. I have no clue what the silvery piece on the receiver is, and I couldn't find a chunk of metal/plastic to put behind the foremost top rail that matched the appearance. And the obvious difficulties with lighting and shading between pictures (most obvious in the stock and flash hider). The barrel is also still deceivingly full length due to the sheer size of the flash hider.