View Single Post
Old 07-22-2020, 03:26 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Glock 19, buy a good IWB holster, spare mag holster and a bunch of mags. Don't forget good hollow points like Speer Gold Dots

Do NOT buy an XD or XDM. In fact, stay away from anything Springfield. I've seen the XD line break down more often in classes. They're nice to hold. I day say feel better than Glocks, but they kinda suck.

Don't be a noob and buy a .40 cal. It's overrated.

Don't buy a 1911 for carry, even if it's a pricey one. You'd need to be more experienced to really know a 1911 before you start carrying one.

Don't be cheap with the things that support your carry gun, like the holster. Don't buy a cheapo one. Do not use a leather holster or even those comfortable hybrid ones. Makes sure whatever holster you decide on, the trigger guard is completely covered.

Don't carry small of back. That's a stupid place for if you fall on your back, you'll land straight onto it and it'll potential hurt your spine.

Have a spare mag holster. At least carry 1 spare mag, NOT because you're expecting to shoot that much in a fight, but for if the mag in your gun craps out, which can happen for whatever reasons or the ammo is bad.

Whatever defense ammo you decide to use, Hornady, Speer, Federal, shoot it out of your gun. I'd recommend at least a box through the gun to see if it feeds well. Glocks aren't ammo specific, that's why I recommend it but the first time I got one, I shot several boxes to see which works and if they all work, I pick the "best" flavor and stuck with it. Also rotate your ammo at the very least once a year. I do it when the seasons change from hot to cold because I'm superstitious like that

If you believe you can carry a full size gun, more power to you but don't buy the SMALLEST gun because you're afraid of printing. I carry my G19 in an Inside the Waistband holster and I just throw on a T-shirt.

Before you step outside and carry for the first time, make sure your belt is tight enough and not too loose because it'll sag. Also get a good tough belt, none of that cheap Walmart $20 belt.

I don't recommend appendix carry for first timers because you haven't had enough training or experience. It's more forgiving to accidentally shoot off the side of your leg or your ass than your dick off.

Also, get training. Don't just take the basic course. Actually don't take any NRA certified courses because they sometimes use outdated techniques. Look for classes with good credentials and practice every chance you get. Practice dry firing and draws. It's actually become my routine if I'm not in a hurry to practice my draw strokes.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”

Last edited by Excalibur; 07-22-2020 at 04:12 AM.