View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 08:19 PM
IMFDB Admin

I don't have issues with 'average folks' not knowing guns, except when they act like they really know what they are talking about and they don't. LOL. Like others have said, I don't know SQUAT about cars. I have friends who are shocked that I don't know the visual differences between a 1956 Chevy and a 1952.

BTW: regarding Anachronisms in movies .... I always argue, that anachronistic cars in movies is more forgivable because pristine condition historical cars are WAY harder and more expensive to get than the correct firearm. It's like getting the correct civilian aircraft for the background of an airport. As long as it's close, I don't care, not being a civilian aviation buff.

What I DO get really mad at are (a) folks who spout off about stuff for the purposes of journalism or political purposes. To an antigun activist, Every 9mm handgun ... is an 'Uzi", Every Rifle is an "AK-47", Every shotgun is a "Street Sweeper" ... whether it is or not. (b) what's more inexcusable is the police who talk to the news media and mis-identify guns. I can't count how many times a straight stocked SKS rifle in the closet of some low level punk is splashed all over the headlines as a 'fully automatic AK-47', an erroneous description provided by the police of all people.

Considering that I haven't seen a real Uzi (aka Uzi Carbine usually cut down or an Uzi Pistol) used by a drug dealer or gang banger since the 1980s, and yet according to the little old ladies down at City Hall, everyone packs an Uzi. I sometimes challenge these people and say "Hey, do you even know what an Uzi looks like?" I have never seen an Uzi in any of the police photos of confiscated guns from Gang members in California. Not for 25 years! Ever since the import ban of the 1980s, they lost their' mystique' with the bad boys crowd. Also (despite some U.S. made knockoffs) they're hard to find and original pre-import ban guns are expensive.