View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Diego Wolfwood
Quote:
WolfwoodWas curious if anyone can identify the guns used in this movie? No one has built the page yet, I would do it but my gun recognition skills are not very good. I'll list the guns I know of.
Hi. My fist posting here. I'm both a gun buff and a movie buff. This looks like a good forum to be a member of.

Well the Webley carried by Quartermain is a Webley, but I believe that it is actually a Webley-Green Model 1889 Army. The Webley Green is sometimes referred to as a "W-G" for short. Green was a Edwinson Green who designed the famous Webley "stirrup latch". The Model 1889 could be had with either a 6" barrel or a 7.5" barrel with adjustable sights. I believe that Connery is carrying a M 1889 "W-G" with the 7.5" barrel.

This model was very popular with British officers at the time and British Soldiers of Fortune - ala Quatermain. The "W-G's" are considered to have been some of the finest Webley revolvers ever made and were a real cut above the Army issue Webley revolvers.

The double barrel rifle carried by Quatermain could be a Holland & Holland, Purdey, Churchill,Alex Henry, Westley Richards or a rifle made by one of hundreds of fine arms makers that exsisted in England in the 19th century.

It's caliber is probably .450 3 1/4" Black Powder Express. It was a very popular cartridge during the second half of the nineteenth century and into the twentieth century. Though it was really only a deer or medium game cartridge at best the famous African hunters Sealous and Taylor both used it to take elephant. But this was a stunt best done only by experienced African hunters.

One can assume that the fictional Quatermain is on their level if not higher.

If that rifle is authentic then it's worth tens of thousands of dollars at least. I would hope it's a reproduction, but you never know with movies.