View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 12:39 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Mr. Excalibur makes good points. However we do differ on one point. I carry a leather holster. I prefer leather and I don't carry cheap leather. It might be an age thing. I'm fifty-two and grew up with leather holsters. The synthetics have their advantages so go with what you prefer. Just go with quality.
You carry what you want as long as it's from a knowledge standpoint. I'm 34, not a "young man" but a young man to you. I've gone through some intense training courses and none of the advise on leather holster. You do what makes you comfortable, it's just your preference with what you know.

With respects to Jcordell and his preference, he most likely knows his holster and choices. For a new shooter, don't go leather holster unless you know exactly what. I'm not saying you can't fuck up a kydex holster, but you can. I recommend the brand names like Raven Concealment, Bravo Concealment. Even T-Rex Arms. They are not "cheap" and the turn around could take time for a custom picked one because they are in high demand.

There's an instructor, Clint Smith. He preaches don't pick a gun just because it "feels good on you". Pick a gun that is known to be reliable, hence the Glock 19. It isn't the prettiest handgun but it works. It's just small enough to conceal for most people and can still be pressed into other roles like home defense. Never use a tiny carry gun as a home defense gun if you have the choice. If you have to buy a small gun to carry, buy another gun for home defense.

Oh, I almost forgot, don't forget a light

Flashights are vital for everyday carry (EDC). If you are attacked, most of the time, it'll be in the dark. You need a way to properly ID who or what you are shooting at. If you decided to get a gun that can fit a weapon light on it, I still suggest carrying a hand light. Surefire or Streamlight are the best

Also these days, not enough people know first aid. I suggest taking a basic first aids class and packing a kit in your car. Not just bandages, but a trauma kit that can stop bleeding. Some people are already carrying small kits on their bodies for if they get hurt and can render first aid on themselves while they wait for the cops and an ambulance. Knowing how to treat your injuries is just as important as knowing how to use your gun.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”

Last edited by Excalibur; 07-24-2020 at 12:48 AM.