View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 03:35 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun View Post
Just in Time is common. No manufactures want to sit on a large supplies of unsold goods. The ammo manufactures did have back up supplies but high demand did them in.

Ammo price shot up in the last couple of years because there are more and more new people owning firearms.
Absolutely. JIT would work but as I noted in my post, the Gun industry doesn't work the same way. You hit the nail on the head with the succinct point that 'More gun owners, equals more demands for ammo'. The local gun stores are inundated with people who have NEVER bought a gun before, but now they fear that they may not be able to get one. These are the folks who were always 'interested' in guns, but were never motivated enough to bite the bullet (pardon the pun) and dish out some $$ for one. Well, when everyone ELSE is stampeding to get them, it is certainly hard not to get swept up along with the wave. But it seems obvious (well not obvious to the manufacturers) that more and more people exercise their 2nd amendment rights, then more and more people will be buying ammo, and buying spikes are geometrically larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdun View Post
Most AR15 manufacture have at least a six month back order. Working six days and 20 hour shifts could not meet the high demands for AR15. When Brownells has a back order of over 500,000 PMAGS and growing, it gets to a point of hording.
There were many gun industry columnists or OP/EDs that opined that there would be a 'rush on guns' when Obama won the election, but the manufacturers didn't seem to get the message. I know it's hard to ramp up FABs but heck, I'd be cranking them out at a heart attack pace from last summer just like the Class III manufacturers did before the cut off date of the Hughes Amendment to the McClure/Volkmer Act of 1986 (I KNOW you all know that I'm referring to...)