View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 06:36 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default What's with all the obscure communist era Black & White Movies?

There seems to be a love affair with obscure, impossible to get, Black and White East German movies from the 1960s-1970s with some members here. They don't screengrab the movies, and I can't do it, because the movies aren't available anywhere. I can 'maybe" try to track down a PAL VHS copy perhaps in Amazon EU with a lot of effort and $$, but why should I have to? A couple of the East German movies DVD covers I got by searching on the web, the original post didn't have even that.

What's funny is that nearly all of them are WW2 themed movies. So the weapons are no big surprise.

Sorry for the vent, but I'm not impressed with all of the obscure foreign movies being thrown up on IMFDB unless the member goes through the trouble of screengrabbing the film and putting up the Poster/Cover Art. That also goes for more modern, but still obscure to American Audiences movies. Like many members (and most Admins here) we go to the trouble of getting the DVD of the movie to get screengrabs and populate the pages of the movies. Hong Kong Action thrillers are common here, but viewers are much more likely to want to see the guns from THOSE movies, rather than a movie that nearly no one has ever seen (that we can't get here in the U.S.).

I just wish that the new users would learn how to use wiki and format correctly, and don't post obscure foreign films UNLESS they intend to screengrab them and give the page some images to look at.