View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Knew this was coming. We will just have to see what happens. I've done my writing. All three of my reps are against any gun control bills. Their voting record back them up. At least some of the frenzy that was running so strongly a couple weeks ago has died down.

Personally I don't really care what a rep says about the NRA to a reporter. The real influence comes when the NRA gets that senator's constituents to write and call his/her offices.

It was just as bad (in my opinion worse) in the summer of 1999 after Colombine. Except then they had the AWB in place so they were going after other stuff.

Clinton held a nationally televised press conference in which he trotted out all the various gun control bills and he and Hillary blathered on and on about how this was for the best. The package of bills passed through the senate by one vote (Al Gore was the deciding vote) and then died in the House.

Clinton was furious when that happened. He was in Europe at the time it died and he told the press that "Those people are a threat to national security". Those people being American gun-owners. I was in the Army at the time and I was absoutely disgusted with him. I was a threat. The guy wearing the uniform.

Rosie O'Donnell stated on her show that if you owned a gun in America in 1999 you should be in prison. Everywhere you turned the celebs and talking heads were coming after us. The anti-gun fever went on for months after Colombine.It was nuts. It's probably the most politically active that I've ever been.

It was a very close thing. Many a politican was talking about how the NRA was out of touch and no longer had any influence and they were going to vote their conscience and not listen to anyone telling them otherwise. The momentum of the gun grabbers almost seemed unstoppable.

From what I can see it isn't nearly as feverish as it was thirteen years ago. Much of the furor seems to have already died down, but don't relax either.