Thread: My 1911
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 12:44 AM

Let me just say that what I am about to say in no way reflects my opinion of you personall, because I do not know you personally, and that you as an individual have the right to do whatever you want to whatever you own or maintain. And now...... judgment.

Why did you build it on a 1913 frame, especially one with the finish gone like that? Kinda makes it look like you didn't take care of the thing, which probably isn't true, but it seems like that. Detail strip it, get some fine sandpaper or steel wool and some flitz and buff that out.

A modern nickel compensator on a near hundred year old pistol missing nearly half of it's finish? It might be functional but it's in terrible taste, man.

And last but not least, "Gladys". There's something that really REALLY irks me about making blatant movie references through extreme eclecticism. If you knew my online buddy K, you'd get me. Half the fun in naming a gun is actually giving it a name, not duct taping a name onto it from a REALLY popular movie. Might as well call it Cyberdine Systems Model 101 or Heath Ledger, at least those aren't as in-your-face.

NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF

I dig the retro A1 slide. The commercial ones, to me, always looked cooler with the "COLT" stamping on the right side and the bluing.

I can tell you know how to build your own gun, and that's pretty neat. I can detail mine too, and, if I had the tools that is, could probably do custom work on mine. They best I've done is install a wide spur hammer, and filed down both sears for a smoother trigger pull. Anyhow, that's good to know, for yourself I mean.

The mainspring housing cut is cool too, even if it's not in use. Extra cuts make any gun seem cool, even if not in use. Options, man, all about the options.

And, just because it's funny, I noticed on your left grip panel that you have left your fingermarks in it. Your perspiration has cleaned your grips... a little. Sucks that it murdered the front strap.

Anyhow, pretty cool, not my idea of a perfect pistol, but that's why it's yours not mine. I have my Springer for whatever the hell I want to do to a 1911.