View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 04:59 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
My boss said "Tobacco, biggest killer of productivity in the world"

I think the same thing can be said about marijuana.
My company banned tobacco use on company grounds a few years ago. They used to have a screened-in gazebo on company grounds (the "butt hut") where workers can go outside and smoke, but now, they have to walk all the way to their cars, drive off the lot, and either find a space to stop and smoke, or as my former supervisor did, light up a cigarette and drive until it's finished, light up another one, and head back. I work for a health care company, so trying to limit or eliminate tobacco use makes sense, and they're certainly well within their rights to do so, but now it's just counterproductive. A cigarette break that used to take ten minutes now takes twenty, AND smokers are now using up gasoline as well. (Doubly ironic as the company is spending millions "going green.) At least they offer real employees deals on patches and nicotine gum, but contractors and vendors like me just have to deal with it. I know they're trying to cut future tobacco-related health care expenses, but I'd like to see how the numbers jibe with the lost productivity.