View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 08:10 PM

I know you can get a quality Smith & Wesson for 5-600 or less, but I suggest you stay away from current production models. For concealed carry, I highly recommend you get either a slim automatic or a J-Frame .38 though, cause trying to conceal a full size revolver is a pain. If you just want a home gun though, a full size is fine. If you need a .357 Magnum, of course the 19 is an option, but these reuqire a sufficient amount of care, since they have very touchy blued or nickel finishes which are pretty to look at, but spoil if you don't take care of them. That being said, as a gun you might use for duty, not a fantastic choice. You can get a Model 66, which is the Stainless Steel version of the Model 19, or get the tougher L-Frame 686, but, again, try and get an old production model, one with the firing pin on the hammer (it's a feature on the Smiths). Also, I say the L-Frame is tougher because in rare cases, the K Frame revolvers have sustained forcing cone cracks from firing hot .357 loads over a long period. Though this is rare, an L-Frame will never have that problem. You can still get a K frame and shoot .38s for practice, and pack .357s for serious business, or just use lower power loads (158 grain soft points are good all around bullets for targets and self defense. Even a weak .357 Magnum is still better than the strongest 9mm or A good quality .45 Auto.

I got a Smith though and I swear by their product line. Forget Taurus or Rossi or even Colt cause they cost too damn much, get a Smith.