View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 03:16 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I don't remember if I was around when you first posted the article, but this jumped out at me:

""It's put me through 20 years, and I'm still alive," said Officer Gregg Melita, 41, who not only carries a Ruger Police Service revolver, but the old "dump pouches," two leather carriers that hold loose cartridges. "This is when guns were guns, and cops were cops," he said. "The new guys don't even know what dump pouches are. They go, 'Hey, what's that hold?' " He chuckled. "'Bullets, kid.'""

I get the appeal of revolvers, I like them myself, but come on, at least use a damn speedloader.

And a DS on an ankle holster? That seems a bit on the heavy side.
Back in my detective days (2003-2006) I carried my DS in an ankle holster. Mainly because I wanted to try it. I lasted a month at the longest. Even though the DS cylinder is just .1 inch larger (2015 Gun Digest, page 202) than the five shot cylinder of my Model 49 bodyguard that little bit made for a cylinder that really pressed against my ankle (I used a Galco ankle band) after a few hours and the extra three ounces really made a difference after five or six hours. I was surprised. I returned to my Model 49 after that month. I still own both revolvers, but the Bodyguard gets carried. the DS is a safe queen.

I'm with you. I like revolvers and now own fourteen. No fifteen revolvers. Love the old handguns, but use a speed loader if you're carrying a revolver in the real world.

My herd as of 08/23/15. Sorry for the picture quality.

going to a gun auction tomorrow. Hope to get either a S&W Model 65 3", Colt Model 1917 (45acp) or a S&W Model 520. Smith made 3,000 of the 520 for the New York State Police in 1980 only to have the NYSP cancel at the last minute. It's just the Model 28 Highway Patrolman only with fixed sights instead of adjustable, but it's rare and would make a great addition to my collection. If I get any of those three you know I'll be posting. Wish me luck.

Last edited by Jcordell; 11-12-2015 at 03:26 PM.