View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
I'm sort of with Excalibur, I mean we're the IMFDB. (Say that out loud. It sounds kinda awesome)
Maybe you feel that way because the last two letters rhyme?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
What else would you expect from a website devoted to explaining the firearms used in movies?
Perhaps the author was thinking of something a little more academic, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I'm reading a lot of mean spirited snark from this guy that's both funny and...offensive...probably because I work on IMFDB as well as all of us.
Aren't the Something Awful forums famous for this kind of thing?

Quote:
Also as a critic like others, I highly am hostile at people who uses the classic fallacy of countering criticisms with "It's an *insert genre*, it isn't supposed to be taken seriously" argument. As if that's a blank check to be stupid or not care about how to make a film or show or whatever. And that's not directed to just poor gun handling in films, it's directed to the film industry in general. Just because it's the Matrix and it's a stupid movie doesn't excuse bad acting direction (or lack of) to actors. There's suspension of disbelief and then there's bullshit when it comes to bad story writing. I hate these kinds of people that say oh it's just a movie. This is why the Transformers series made a fuck ton of cash than better movies!
People make lists of visible/audible goofs found in movies all the time. Sadly it looks like the writer thinks some of the commentary here on IMFDB doesn't count as a valid way of listing immersion-breaking elements of a film.

Speaking of The Matrix's use of Harries techniques, I hope someone makes a mention of Metal Gear Solid 3's similar techniques, except with a "CQC" knife instead of a flashlight.

Quote:
I guess sometimes the technical descriptions do seem a bit much...like the XXX page but...it's there for you to read. I seriously don't think there is such a thing as too much gun information.
People are certainly welcome to read only the parts of the wiki that they can handle. That's what the Tables of Contents are for--if they want the barebones experience, they can just read the Tables of Contents and skim through the screenshots to get the basic idea.

Quote:
This guy clearly isn't a gun guy and I mean not even on a basic level. He obviously made this page almost as an attempted to sound like he's a rejected author from Cracked.com
I wonder if the article's author would consider the amount of technical expertise and attention to detail that is required to keep modern small arms in working order "aspergian" as well. In reality, if you don't get it right on a regular basis, you might end up like that scene in Harry Brown where the titular character goes "You failed to maintain your weapon, son." Or you might do something like try to chamber a .300 BLK round in a 5.56mm AR-15, and end up with half your face missing once the trigger's pulled. And aren't quite a lot of accidental shootings occurring in real life because someone didn't completely unload a gun before cleaning it or putting it away?