View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 07:10 PM

Default Recommend me a pistol (caliber, styles, etc)

This will be my first handgun. I'd use it for practice and home defense, as well as a prop weapon, as I do a lot of short films where handguns wind up being needed (always unloaded).

My budget is around $200. Limiting, I know, but I'll be going to a very large gun show next month and want to know what to look out for.

My original thought was a .22, as they're cheap rounds that I can get a lot of easily and practice with. But, I looked around for others, as, in a self-defense situation, they have little going for them (in that 5-8% chance where a gun is actually fired, rather than just presented, in a self-defense situation). I have been looking into other gauges, and want to keep the price of the ammo in mind so I can shoot it often without spending as much as I might on a more expensive gun.

I'd really like a revolver, if it came down to handgun/revolver.

The Heritage Rough Rider looks good, but that's only really an option in .22, as the bigger rounds just about double in price. I'm not at all opposed to buying used, in fact I'd prefer it.

What about other less mentioned rounds? .25acp, .32, .17, I had really considered a .38 Special, as they're not as expensive as .45s and the kick would be less.

Throw out some ideas. Thanks a lot!