View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Oh, yeah, you mean this?
Quote:
The following morning, Sunday 13th June, Clark arrived at Jackson's HQ at Skopje. It was pointed out to him that the Russians were isolated and could not be reinforced by air and that Russian support had been a vital part of getting a peace agreement. Antagonising them would only be counter-productive. Clark refused to accept this and continued to order the runway blocked, claiming to be supported by the UN Secretary General. Jackson refused to enforce Clark's orders, reportedly telling him "I'm not going to start the Third World War for you." When again directly ordered to block the runway Jackson suggested that British tanks and armoured cars would be more suitable, in the knowledge that this would almost certainly be vetoed by the British government. Clark agreed. Jackson was ready to resign rather than follow Clark's order. The British Ministry of Defence authorised British force commander Richard Dannatt to use 4 Armoured Brigade to isolate the airfield but not to block the runways. British officer Captain James Blount, who later found fame as a pop singer, was a troop commander of some of these vehicles. He has been quoted as saying he would rather have faced a court martial than use force against the Russians. Clark's orders were not carried out, and the United States instead put political pressure on neighbouring states not to allow Russia to use their airspace to ferry in the reinforcements. Russia was forced to call off the reinforcements after Bulgaria, Hungary and Romania refused requests by Russia to use their airspace.
So yeah. That's probably the closest we've gotten to instant sunshine.

There's only one explanation for everything that's happened to me so far: This universe is trolling me.