Thread: SIG-Sauer P228.
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Dude, congrats on such a wonderful purchase! I wonder how the hell it managed to stay in such good condition for the last 20 years? Even if it was a safe queen, I'm still a little surprised the frame rails are in the condition you claim. I have a lot of guns that I almost never shoot (like my AK), but I still take them apart and work the action, which means that some degree of wear is inevitable. In this case, it's almost like the gun was stored somewhere and never even touched, not merely unfired.

Either way, I envy you. I hope to own a 228 some day. The 226 is still my favorite SIG, but the 288 is the best pistol that they ever made.
Thank you sir. I figured you of all the members on here would appreciate this. The gun had been fired at some point, there was some powder residue when I cleaned it, but it was far from dirty inside the slide, and it even still smelled of plasticy factory grease. It's not spotless, but all the wear it has is honest (invisibly faint edge/slide rubbing from a holster, rubbing in the mag well, frame rails, that's about it, no dings or scratches to be seen). The rails have some wear from racking but there's still a lot of finish left on them, more than I've seen on any used and even some new guns. It's been shot, but not much at all from the looks of it. It even has the old trigger bar spring and grips too, and I don't know if those will need replacing, but they're just one of those quirks that comes with an old gun you can be proud of (like the round trigger guard on my 92SB).

One thing that surprised me was how thin the slide rails are, I've never seen a gun with rails as thin as this. And when I said the grips were still sharp, I mean SHARP. The cutouts on the back for the lanyard bar dig into my hand really hard when I go to decock or press the mag release. I spent nearly 2 hours today sanding ever so gently with 600-1000 grit sandpaper to dull the edge enough to make it tolerable.