View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 05:56 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
I think it is probably best not to have individual pages for all of the tank and aircraft cannons out there, for the reasons you stated, but also the fact that particularly with aircraft you tend not to actually see the gun, and the ID's are purely based on the presumption that it is there.
That is similar to the tactic used by a relatively new member (whose name will go unmentioned) . The problem with the practice of "If it is supposed to be there, IMFDB will list it as being there", is that in entertainment media, substitutions happen all the time. Also IF something appears in either film or tv, there is no guarantee that the weapon is not a fantasy mockup. I remember an old B&W movie where the F86 jet footage was actually stock footage of test flights of an unarmed model (done in the testing grounds of the Western U.S.) So all the 'battle' scenes took place with a plane with no guns. LOL.

Now in the world of Video games, the guns MAY be specifically identified, but even that doesn't make it qualify (for the reasons I listed above).

The only issue is that even if the pages are well done AND accurate, they're still of an item which we don't recognize as qualifying for IMFDB. And we HAVE to limit the scope of IMFDB. New members are just too clever as to how they will twist and distort the intent of the rules and push the envelope as to what wacky page they will try to make.

I do like the idea of a GUN PLATFORM page which lists all AIR COMBAT armament on the same page and all ARMORED VEHICLE COMBAT armament (like the 155mm guns) so that the identified weapons have a place to link to.

Thoughts?