View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 12:11 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
Most people want to see the latest event first.
Sorry, I respectfully disagree with that statement I re-assert my position that it is true, while tracking people's Careers, you want to see the most recent event.

It's the classic "What have you done lately?" just like a resume.

BUT .... When I'm doing historical research (which is what I do A LOT) especially in the non-weapons aspect of my job, I always find out when it first appeared BEFORE i find out when it last appeared.

Case in point- while working on ANOTHER prohibition movie, I discovered through research that the Chicago Police Uniforms in the 1987 Film 'The Untouchables" were anachronistic, and would not be adopted until six years AFTER the setting of the film. They would have been wearing the old NYPD style double breasted tunic with the five pointed star, versus the military coat with Sam Brown belt and the six pointed star that appears in the movie. Knowing when the uniform was discontinued would be less helpful than knowing when it was adopted.

Again, I will accede to the vote of the majority of the MODs. But I don't buy that 'everyone wants to see it a certain way'

Historians don't list eras or trends or items in reverse chronological order. It depends if the MODS want IMFDB to be a scholarly historical site or a pop culture trends/Career tracking site like IMDB, because IMDB really focused on tracking what is POPULAR with the masses at the moment. (which is why they have that stupid Starmeter tracking system)