View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 02:09 AM

I agree with Metcalf's notion that there is some middle ground with regard to gun ownership/regulation, and what fits the rights and NEEDS of the people in contemporary society (which is inherently fucked up due to the government's inability to effectively police ALL crime and defend ALL people). But I understand that there are very few practical solutions that can be instituted, and even fewer that our polarized, agenda-ridden political system will allow. I lean right because I'd rather have total abstract freedom than complete control rendered to an outside party, even though both worlds are fucked and won't guarantee I'll live a long, happy life. But the polarization itself is a problem, and it prevents the final transition from the natural, animalistic state from which humans come, to a real rational, ethically driven modern society. I think what Metcalf tried to do was say this, but he did it in a game dominated by red and blue, or black and white, rather. And since sides are part of the game that we've made of our society, he got shut out by his side for trying to find a logical peace. I'd love for us to find that, and I'd love to have a strong federal government that protects the rights of the people and all of their lives equally, but we as humans fuck that up by wanting more for ourselves than for others.