View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default For those members who are in U.S. and are following the school shooting

I know this tends to be an apolitical forum for the most part, but the events of the last couple days are too big to ignore. So here is a contact to e-mail your various reps.

http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm

It takes only a couple minutes to find your Senator and write an email. Also contact your congressman. Even if he/she is anti 2nd Amendment still let them know. I leave it up to you wether or not you should join the NRA. I've been a member since 1996 and I am now a Lifetime member. I don't always agree with the organization and I don't alwasy send it momey, but I still back it. IT's the only real effective organization backing us.

Feel free to use this email copy and paste below or write your own. Make it short and sweet. Remember remain respectful. Don't get hyped and emotional. I spoke to one of the oeprators at the NRA-ILA and she said they've received horrible hate-filled screaming phone calls. that's fine let the other side rant and rave and foam at the mouth. Their emotions will work against them. I am a father of two and I'm horrified by what happened in Conn. But I won't be made a scapegoat and turned into a criminal because of a deranged and evil madman. I was 26 when the first Assault Weapons Ban was passed in 94. I remember all the screaming and hatered being directed at gunowners in 99 after Colombine. It's ugly and it can get you down. Don't let them do that to you. Keep your head, roll up your sleeves and get busy.

Despite what some of the nay sayers are posting on other gun forums the political and legal enviroment is stronger (i.e. in favor of gunowners) now than it was in 94 and 99. American gunowners are better organized and thanks to the Internet we are able to communicate and coorodinate better. These are pretty major things. I remember the eighties when we were very limited becasue the media was (and still is) controlled by the LEft and the LEft would shut us out. But not now. Nevertheless we can't take it for granted. If you haven't done so I reccommend you contact your reps at least and if anyone wants to debate (i..e. attempt to scream you down) stay calm and respond with the facts. For example the number of mass shootings in the U.S. have been declining since the 90's and the killer in Conn. broke 41 laws. 41. So how many more laws would have stopped him?

Okay. that's it. Good luck.

Dear Senator,
I am writing to urge you to continue to uphold your oath of office, and protect the 2nd Amendment from more gun control:
" I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."
I am sure you are under considerable pressure at this time to pass legislation, in the name of public safety, to prohibit, regulate, or otherwise control firearms. I understand the point of view of those that support "gun control". I believe, however, that the rights protected by the Constitution should be held above, and protected from, the temporary whim of public opinion.
A careful examination of statistical data shows that Armed Response, from security professionals, police, or armed citizens, is an effective deterrent and defense against violent criminals. My right and responsibility as an armed citizen makes me an asset to my family, and to the community. Armed Citizens can and do prevent mass shootings from occurring and escalating:
• A 1997 high school shooting in Pearl, Miss., was halted by the school's vice principal after he retrieved the Colt .45 he kept in his truck.
• A 1998 middle school shooting ended when a man living next door heard gunfire and apprehended the shooter with his shotgun.
• A 2002 terrorist attack at an Israeli school was quickly stopped by an armed teacher and a school guard.
• A 2002 law school shooting in Grundy, Va., came to an abrupt conclusion when students carrying firearms confronted the shooter.
• A 2007 mall shooting in Ogden, Utah, ended when an armed off-duty police officer intervened.
• A 2009 workplace shooting in Houston, Texas, was halted by two coworkers who carried concealed handguns.
• A 2012 church shooting in Aurora, Colo., was stopped by a member of the congregation carrying a gun.
• At the recent mall shooting in Portland, Ore., the gunman took his own life minutes after being confronted by a shopper carrying a concealed weapon.
Knee jerk calls for gun control are never the answer. The 2nd Amendment is too important to be whimsically castrated.
I appreciate your time, and hope that you will continue to support and defend the Constitution that you have sworn to uphold.
Thank you for your service,

Last edited by Jcordell; 12-17-2012 at 08:41 PM.