View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 09:37 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by commando552 View Post
From a quick search, the only reboots that have made over $100,000,000 (that is just the arbitrary point I picked) are The Amazing Spider Man and Robin Hood. There are a few other things like films that are only kind of a sequel like The Incredible Hulk, or sequels that are far in the future like Tron Legacy and Terminator Salvation, but there are not really reboots. TBH I was amazed whilst looking through how small a percentage of films are actually an original IP as opposed to a sequel, reboot or based on a true story or other media. Probably only 1 in 4 is an original idea, if that.
I don't know if I'd really count Amazing Spider Man and Robin Hood. They've existed as IP for decades (and centuries) and these are just the latest movies that have been made. When I think "remake," I'm thinking of films based on just that one previous film. Maybe I should limit it to remakes or reboots of stuff that have come out in my lifetime. For example, Oceans Eleven, 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit did pretty well.