View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 10:20 AM
IMFDB Admin

I've seen one of the bottles for the Russian ones, and if nothing else the whole front of the bottle is covered with a paper label with instruction in cyrillic, so it isn't a match for the one in "Dnieper Line: Love and War". Also the genuine Russian ones were just sealed with a cork rather than wax.

As you say the ignition system is wrong, but i'm not sure that this is technically part of the weapon anyway, as I had never heard of the percussion method before and though they were ignited with a a breakable glass ampule attached to the side which auto-ignited in air when broken with the rest of the bottle. I have also read about the fact that often there were no igniter provided with the Russian ones, so standard procedure was to either make your own of to throw a KS self igniting one first followed by a number of conventional ones.

TBH I find the whole page a bit farcicle, as there will never be a genuine one used and in terms of mocking one up there wasn't that much standardisation with the grenades anyway, being made of whatever bottles were available and having different or no igniters. The only constant is the mixture which will not be real in a film anyway, so in essence we are ID'ing a 75cl wine bottle.

With other weapons that have only appeared mocked up, that is fine as there is effort put into making them and people may conceivably believe they are a real weapon. With this though it is just a bottle that someone has attached a match to with a bit of electrical tape (pretty sure that is wrong for a real No. 3 Incendiary Bottle) and filled with cold tea or food colouring, and nobody is going to look at that and think "I wonder what production weapon that is".