View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 01:41 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Yes, sorry, back on topic! Disclaimer: Liberals are still naive, idiotic, and misguided, and I hate it when we have too many of them running the agenda in Congress.

As far as the AWB goes, I hated when it was in place and don't want to see it re-implemented. But I'm still not too sure about some of the arguments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
The major gripe I've always had was ban and limitations of magazine capacity, and cosmetic appearences of firearms like "Assault Rifles" that don't do anything to change the function of the weapon, just make them less "threatening".
While the AWB's provisions for defining an "assault weapon" were ridiculous, I don't disagree with the idea that there is something functionally different about a semi-automatic AK-47 versus a hunting rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
For example, 3 10 round magazines when comepared to one 30 round magazine. Besides what's been said that this is a stupid arguement, it doesn't change the fact that the shooter with 3 10 rounds can do over what he can do with a 30 round magazine. The weapon still shoots bullets, the same kind of bullets, nothing changes, just reload time.
But reload time is quite important. If there was no difference between a 30-round mag and three 10-round mags, then why would anyone have invented 30-round magazines in the first place. It's even more obvious when you start talking about 75, 100-round drums. When Patrick Purdy shot up that school in Stockton (in 1989, which led to Bush Sr.'s import ban on AKs, H&Ks, etc.), he used 75-round drums in his AK and he fired over 100 rounds in 2 minutes. He only had to reload once to do that. With 10-round "post-ban" magazines, he would have had to reload 10 times. That seems like a pretty substantial difference.

I do disagree that bans on stuff like flash hiders, bayonet lugs, etc. are totally dumb. But then again, the VPC did admit this much. They were against the AWB being made permanent in 2004 because they said that they didn't think it was good enough. According to them, the combination of a pistol grip and a high-cap mag is what makes an "assault weapon". Not sure I follow that, either, but whatever.