Thread: Randomness 3
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
I recall about seven (eight?) years ago we had a couple members (now banned) who were causing more than a few waves. We gave them a lot of leeway, but they just kept at it. So they were eventually shut down. But the site has slowed down from that time so everybody can be relaxed. Also we don't seem to have the type of pernicious personalities here that some sites attract. Crossing my fingers it stays that way.
It's called the Online Disinhibition Effect. Sooner or later we'll be seeing more of that kind of behaviour assuming this forum and website doesn't become a ghost town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
To be fair, it's the WWE portion I frequent and the WWE video games fanbase is notorious for having more condescending, self-entitled assholes than any other.
Incivility and antisocial behaviour in online gaming has practically become standard, unfortunately, partly due to the Online Disinhibition Effect mentioned above, and partly because there's no such thing as penalties for Unsportsmanlike Conduct during online gaming, unlike in real-life pro sports matches like at Wimbledon. Even the most famous gaming clans, like Faze Clan, have members who rage online. No one calls anyone out on it, so the behaviour persists.