View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 10:17 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
I agree with totally on this. That aside, c552 still said it. Especially about Deadpool. It was meant and expected to be an R film and could not be anyway else and work. A film should be graphic because that's a part of it or what it's about, it can't be there for the sake of it. Rating isn't everything. I say this as a diehard RoboCop fan who loathed the remake getting a PG-13 rating.. Ironically Robo wanted a PG-13 to hedge their bets on teen attendance when that was the wrong approach, whereas it's totally expected in this case. The alternative in Suicide Squad's case is going R and having a similar situation where they potentially shoot themselves in the foot, not something they need given how much they do have riding on this.

Sure, I admit I would have liked to see a more explicit R-style Harley () but otherwise the film doesn't have anything to really necessitate an R-rating and will probably manage fine without it.
If they do the standalone Harley movie they are talking about I could potentially see that being R rated, as it would fit with the current comics.

Mentioning Robocop reminded me of another reason that they were not going to make an R rated Suicide squad: "Merchandising, merchandising, where the real money from the movie is made." WB want to be able to sell the shit out of the toys and merch from this film, and that market will be much bigger if they let kids see it.