View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 07:03 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

As I've said, I'm not against the idea of removing quotes where they're not useful, but I'm more concerned with blanket rules that allow no exceptions. For example, George Clooney's quote in Three Kings is actually the best way to describe what's shown in the trivia image.

Like I said, what most concerns me is how this relates to subtitles, and I guess I'm taking your comments a little personally because:

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/b/bc/Homefront-M4-4.jpg

I didn't choose that image (or the three others on the Homefront page which contain that word) because it had swearing in it or because it was cool or edgy, I chose it because it's a close-up of the in-world M4 model. Banning all swearing would either mean I have to play these games through ~4 times (I leave the subtitles on when I'm recording for Youtube, and screencapping a 6-hour game already takes about as long as doing a TV miniseries and eats about 10 gigs of space on my hard drive*), use shots that aren't necessarily the best ones I could use, or stick ridiculous black boxes on screencaps.

*To further explain, my capture device's software crashes if I try to take screenshots, so I have to record the entire game as video and then go back and take caps from that. This involves 1-2 practice runs of the game, followed by a recorded run. Modern games average 5-10 hours for an FPS, going up to >48 hours for a big RPG-type game. It's an enormous commitment of time if you want something better than staring at a wall with the All Weapons cheat on as per that godawful Soldier of Fortune 2 page.

Last edited by Evil Tim; 08-18-2011 at 10:04 AM.