View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
...from a site search, the word "fuck" appears in 17 articles out of, at last count, 7,480. Of those, 3,168 are media pages (categories movie, videogame, TV and anime), meaning 0.5% of media pages contain those words (perhaps the most surprising part of this is that none of those 17 are videogames). Of those, very few obviously have shots chosen just because they contain swearing; in some cases, the quotes are placed on the only shots actually containing the weapon (eg Magnum Force). In all the ones I looked at, the quotes match up to good shots of the weapon itself. In a lot of cases the language has been there for years without causing comment.
That number does go up a titch if you search for all the different permutations of the word. Admittedly two of those results are my pages, but the Appleseed and Angel Cop dubs were too good(bad) to pass up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
I...and don't want to either add black boxes to screenshots (which would look ridiculous) or throw out perfectly good images just because they have "bad" subtitles on them. The same would apply to ...anime.
That shouldn't be much of an issue. Most subtitles on R1 releases are just straight translations of the Japanese dialogue, and profanity doesn't work in quite the same way in Japanese as it does in English. Plus it's easier to turn subtitles on a DVD on and off than it is a video game.