View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 04:28 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Hair metal is a sub-genre of metal, and while it probably isn't what S&W is talking about, it's still a form of metal. AC/DC is technically not metal but was a significant influence.
I've always thought AC/DC can be considered somewhat metal. All Music Guide lists them within Heavy Metal (though it also says they can be considered Hard Rock, Arena Rock, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Anyhow, metal music, to me, is kind of a loud clusterfuck of vocals, typically with irrelevant subject matter and a lot of distortion, and instruments being pushed to their sound limits, all of which is usually as loud as it can possibly be. I personally don't like it, as I like lyrical content and I generally just don't like the sound, at least not more than hip-hop bass or simple acoustic/electric guitar. Metal is more complicated where I want it to be simpler, and vice versa. I got friends that like it/know it, but it doesn't trip my trigger, at least not like other genres.
Come on, there's plenty of hip-hop that is utterly devoid of any meaningful lyrical content. I listened to hip-hop long enough to appreciate that the "heads" love to rip on all of the "gangsta" and "pop"-rappers who don't "keep it real" or whatever.

As for the music, it's easy to attack hip-hop for being totally uncomplicated, since it is based on sampling and sequencing rather than playing an instrument (except for The Roots and a few others).