View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 12:10 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Going back to gun laws, I agree with some of the laws in place in most places in the US. Background checks, waiting periods, permits, registrations, etc. If you have kids, manditory child proof safeties for firearms, or better, teach your kids about firearms so they know better, not hide them from it. Not teaching your children about guns if you have one, to me, is like not telling them about cars and how to drive them and let them figure it out for themselves.

The rest below is just my personal opinion.

The major gripe I've always had was ban and limitations of magazine capacity, and cosmetic appearences of firearms like "Assault Rifles" that don't do anything to change the function of the weapon, just make them less "threatening".

For example, 3 10 round magazines when comepared to one 30 round magazine. Besides what's been said that this is a stupid arguement, it doesn't change the fact that the shooter with 3 10 rounds can do over what he can do with a 30 round magazine. The weapon still shoots bullets, the same kind of bullets, nothing changes, just reload time.

There was stuff like the ability to accept a grenade launcher in rifles, which is pointles anyway because civilians can't aquire grenade launchers. I don't know about film armorers though.

Retractable buttstocks, barrel length, pistol grip. Though barrel length will affect the accuracy and range of a rifle, I personally don't think it's of any consequences anyway.

Flash hiders. If you're shooting someone on the street, people are going to hear the sound of the gun anyway, so hiding the flash anyway.

Accepting a bayonet. I honestly don't think a criminal would attach one anyway if he's going on a shooting spree. There's really no function for a bayonet on a modern rifle anyway.

The retractable buttstock, folding, telescoptic, etc have no consequence to the rifle itself. It just makes it semi compact for close quarters, storing, etc. The M4 stocks were meant to be adjusting to a shooter's length and what he or she's wearing. It's perfectly reasonable, it doesn't affect how a the weapon fires.

Ammo restrictions doesn't do a thing anyway. And all these limits are only limiting the people who will obey them because it's the law, not criminals who have always been illegally aquiring firearms all the time.

I'm sure we all agree that putting restricting laws on firearms only restrict the people and not the criminals who don't obey the laws in the first place, but the people who supported those rules are too thick headed and over confident of law enforcement to care or too rich to care.

A New York City law I heard had stated that you can't kill a person invading your home unless you can prove the burglar was a real threat on your life.

Colleges don't allow guns, but that didn't stop crazies from going in and shooting around anyway.

I read an article about a Law school shooting and a couple of the men in there were off duty police officers. They went to their cars and got their guns, entered the campus and took down the offender.

The reasons some politicans give us for not having guns is to show us the illusion of security and safety, that this country is the safest place in the world and that we don't need protection because we are constantly protected. If that's the case, there would be no crime at all. I take the same precautiouns going to my car at night and walking around campus during the day. It's not being paranoid, it's just being aware of your surroundings and not cloak yourself in an illusion of safety when it might or might not be.

It's our own instinctual nature for self preservation. Our natural right to defend ourselves.

If someone approaches you with the full intent to harm you, self perservation should tell you to do everything possible to eliminate that threat by all means nessessary for survival, not wait for someone else to come 20 minutes to late to save your sorry ass.

A lot of people have been spoon fed and pampered enough to think that just because they are in a metropolitan city, modern civiliazation, part of a good "civilize" country, that they are completely safe and that they should be ignorant of anything else in the world. People just can't help it. And if something happen to those people because they are ignorant, that's what we need to wake up from apathy. If you honestly think that you are completely safe because of local law, your home security system and your dog, and don't require a firearm, that's your preference. The chances of a break in to prove my point is remote and wouldn't solve anything.

I just hope more people use common sense and look at how the laws are being made and pass, with logic and reasons, look at them and the world around yourself, not hide from it over an illusion of complete safety.

And that's all I'm ranting for now

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”