View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 01:26 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post

As far as a .22 goes: Screw it. .22s are for kids who haven't hit puberty yet (or really, really skinny girls). For someone your age and size, you won't have any more problems with a .223 than you'd have with a .22. Plus, .22s just feel like toys. The ammo cost is the only advantage, and I'm of the opinion that you might as well just save for something in a larger caliber and get the most fun out of the experience. Even for plinking, an AR-15 is a good choice. You can get one of the cheaper models that's made for people who only intend to plink; I recommend checking out the "Plinker Plus" line from Olympic Arms for a start.
It does feel like a toy when you shoot a .22. But they allow great practice at 100 yards so you can work on breathing, trigger control and a steady aim without the recoil. It wouldn't cost more than $300 for the rifle and a lot of ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Oh, and unless you plan to do serious target shooting, forget about anything chambered in .308. I don't know anybody who owns a .308 and enjoys shooting it just for fun. The guys who own M1As and Remy 700s are the types of dudes who will buy the rifle and then put down another $2-$3 Grande replacing the barrel, scope, stock, and almost everything that the rifle comes with from the factory. My uncle owns an M1A that he almost never shoots (he once told me that he only bought it out of nostalgia - the M14 was what he trained on in ROTC).
While you have never met me "met me". I enjoy shooting my .308 just as much as my .223. I like to get good with something besides a varmint round. While it's tougher on the shoulder that's just the 1000 ft. lbs more of muzzle energy.

Also to the OP, since you like the looks of the M1A. (If they weren't so costly I would have gotten one instead of my L1A1.) If you decide to go the .223 route. I'd recommend the Mini-14. They look like a scaled down M1A.

But if you're just starting out. Take baby steps. Get a .22, then a .223 and then finally a .308.