View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 12:50 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira View Post
They should stop shitting all over their "Good Guy in the middle east" image in the west and try to win the hearts and minds of the palestinian people. Stop with that Israeli Settlement bullshit and the bombings. If they really wanted to do something, the Israelis should pull a Afghanistan. Go in there along side the Palestinian Government and fight the Hamas. While doing it, build hospitals, Schools, roads and all that shit. You Know, modernize the place. Most people in Israel and Palestine want peace, they want Israelis and Palestinians to live together. Of course, much like the Cold War in the western countries, The Israeli liberals want peace with Palestine and the Israeli Neo-Conservatives want a Greater Israel and all that bullshit. The same applies to Palestine.
Isn't that kind of hard? Contrary to what you've said, many Palestinians do not want "peace"; they just want Israel gone completely. At least, this is the case in Gaza; in the West Bank it's a little more flexible. But "winning over" the Palestinians is really not a very practical goal. I think Fatah's response to Netanyahu's acceptance of the two-state solution is indicative of this. Not to mention that your referring to Fatah as the Palestinian "government" is kind of ridiculous (it's mostly Fatah's fault that pro-Hamas sentiment took hold in Gaza).

I do agree that the settlements should stop (mostly because it's become an extremely convenient excuse for anti-Israelis to use when blaming Israel, and because the Israeli settlers are a bunch of deluded nationalist morons), but I really don't think it makes a difference. The Palestinians are mostly to blame for the conflict, and until they change, I don't think there's very much Israel can do to "win them over".