Thread: Gun laws in US
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2009, 12:29 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
I agree 100% with wikipedia not being an acceptable source in schools, because its not an acceptable source in the professional world either. Too much bias. I made it through high school and university without using it, and my understanding of the subject matter was enhanced by finding multiple sources with different perspectives. I've got a pretty low view of the whole new media phenomenon, actually. It's great in theory, but people only pay attention to their own pet issues and then there's no hope of getting on objective assessment.
Eh, I dunno about that. You do have to recognize the flaws (which not everyone is capable of doing, sadly), but once you do, "new media" can expose you to stuff that you never would have known before.

One of my pet peeves about our media (and your country's media) and our unversities is how they continually take a liberal apologist perspective of stuff like the savagery of the militant Islamists. Most of what I know about Islam, I learned through "new media", because the bullshit they tried to shove down my throat in college was just obviously not true. Even when I was doing my thesis, my faculty adviser used to tell me I was taking "too negative" a view of the IRA in Northern Ireland by not understanding the circumstances in which they emerged, which apparently somehow justifies their terrorism. So as far as I am concerned, "new media" is the antidote to the leftist bullshit.

Last edited by MT2008; 03-10-2009 at 12:33 AM.