View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 10:57 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Is it hard to get property masters to take a chance on newer handgun designs? One thing that always strikes me is how so few newer-model firearms appear in movies and TV shows. I feel like the handguns I see in movies are almost always Beretta 92Fs, Glocks, SIG P226s/P228s, S&W autos, and an occasional H&K USP. I pretty much never see newer pistols like the Springfield XD, for instance, even though those are very popular with American shooters nowadays, or the SIG Pro series. I don't even see many FN Five-Sevens, which continues to surprise me because I would have figured that Hollywood would have jumped at the chance to show its action heroes wielding the new, state-of-the-art "matapolicia" the way they got all hyped about the Beretta 92F back in the 80s.
Well this is only MY opinion based on my own situation:

Well, (a) I always groan when some manufacturer announces yet another new caliber. I'm speaking as someone who has to keep a standing INVENTORY of blanks, the more calibers, the more $$ I have to tie up in large enough stocks of blanks to make it worthwhile. But that's only specific to anyone who stocks blanks.
(b) though it may NOT be cool and hip to always use the older 9mm guns, I like it when 99% of my pistol orders are for 9mm guns, I always worry since I don't keep a large stock of the other calibers and if someone (especially NOW) asked for thousands of rounds of something like .357 SIG, I would be in trouble.
(c) Guns are getting more and more and more expensive. Gun rental rates have to go up, at the time when productions are trying to low ball everyone. Spending thousands of $$ on more capital guns to put in inventory is not economically wise in a time when 'shoot em ups' are increasingly being shot outside of the U.S. and using foreign armorers. I have tons of weapons in inventory that have not yet paid for themselves in rentals (an issue everyone in the biz is painfully aware of).
(d) Directors pick the guns. Many of them know nothing about guns. So they pick what they've seen in other action movies. End of story.....

I'm sure there are more industry specific issues, but these will do for now