View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 06:57 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
ive noticed the beretta 92 is overly common in movies but have noticed another standin, the sig p228

the sig is used to replace the 229 a lot, even different calibers

noticed in

24, in the line of fire, the sentinel, eagle eye, xmen, transformers, all secret service have 9mm sig 228s even though its a 357 229 in real life

never seen a 357 or a 40 in a movie /tv

wondering, are 9mm guns easier to convert to blanks or something? why so much usage, besides people liike john woo who wont put reloading in movies
This is just nitpicking, but...

(1.) When "In The Line Of Fire" was made (1992-93), the P228 had just been adopted by the Secret Service, so it would have been the correct weapon for the time. They didn't adopt the P229 in .357 SIG until around the late-90s.
(2.) In "Transformers", the Secret Service Agents used the P226. In fact, there seem to be a lot of 90s action movies where Secret Service Agents use the P226 instead of the P228, which is completely wrong (think "Air Force One", "Murder At 1600", etc.)

Pheonixent pretty much summarized the reasons why 9mm guns are so common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
9mm guns were easier to convert to blanks at the time for the old gunsmiths in the industry. We did not get in to other calibers until younger fresher minds prevailed. Now we have various calibers in handguns but 9mm is still popular and some handguns like the Beretta 92F and the Glock's have a reputation of never failing when filming. Although I have had both go down while filming they are very reliable. Also I have used a .40 Glock on a TV pilot called Fearless.
Is it hard to get property masters to take a chance on newer handgun designs? One thing that always strikes me is how so few newer-model firearms appear in movies and TV shows. I feel like the handguns I see in movies are almost always Beretta 92Fs, Glocks, SIG P226s/P228s, S&W autos, and an occasional H&K USP. I pretty much never see newer pistols like the Springfield XD, for instance, even though those are very popular with American shooters nowadays, or the SIG Pro series. I don't even see many FN Five-Sevens, which continues to surprise me because I would have figured that Hollywood would have jumped at the chance to show its action heroes wielding the new, state-of-the-art "matapolicia" the way they got all hyped about the Beretta 92F back in the 80s.

Last edited by MT2008; 03-05-2009 at 07:02 PM.