View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 11:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to MattyDienhoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
Why does down-the-sight aiming in FPS's always look like the rear sight is brought right up to your eyeball with your cheek right on the receiver? Also that little bit of magnification on weapons that don't have any sort of optics is very off putting.
That is pretty odd but there's a reason for it. As I understand it...

The field of view (FOV) that's considered to be normal in most FPS games is actually sort of a 'zoomed out' view compared to normal. At that level, it's harder to see distant objects than it would be in real life. It's not realistic, basically, but it's a necessary evil. It's a compromise, due to the displays we view these games on, because if the default FOV was realistic, you'd have extremely limited peripheral vision, so you'd never see threats coming from the sides and it'd be tough just walking around, it'd be like having blinders on. Therefore, aim zoom is actually a compromise upon a compromise. Aim zoom allows the default FOV to be wide so you have peripheral vision, but also allows you to have a decent chance of targeting at long range (without having to do excessive 'pixel hunting'). No, the idea of switching from one FOV to another isn't realistic, but the default FOV isn't realistic either, it's just a necessity. I'm not sure what effect widescreen displays has on this problem, I imagine it'd solve it by allowing a wider FOV, but perhaps not, I just don't know.