View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
The thing that bugs me about the show so far, (like I said, still only three episodes in,) is that Longmire carries his M1911 in Condition 2. (I suppose it could be Condition 3 as well.) I can imagine someone who was issued an M1911 not being comfortable carrying a loaded and cocked sidearm, but I can't imagine anyone who would CHOOSE to carry an M1911 and not carrying it cocked. Do they explain that in a later episode? With all the guns in the show, you figure someone on the set would've picked up on that.
I don't think you should read too much into what condition people carry pistols in for TV and movies. I would imagine that most of the time when you see a pistol in a holster it is either a replica or completely unloaded, so don' think they would bother cocking it to look like it was loaded. Also, they might not like people walking around with a holstered gun that it cocked, as it may be a safety concern.

Just BTW, I don't think you should ever carry a 1911 in condition 2 anyway, either 1 or 3 are the safer ways. It was designed to be carried cocked with the safety on, and in the original 1911s (pre Series 80 I think) there wasn't a hammer block meaning that if dropped from a height or knocked with considerable force there is a danger of it going off it it was kept hammer down on a loaded chamber.