View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
Just go with a PDW if you are going for 100m shots. I like the 10mm too but one has to think about the end user. A PDW is alot handier than a pistol in situations where the guns come out. As someone once noted a PDW is as easy to manuver as a pistol but has much better ranged accuracy and much better penatration.
I suppose that would depend on the PDW in question. You can holster an MP7 (something good for a cop), you can't do the same for an FN P90 or a KAC PDW (though the last two can be slung). Firing the last two one-handed is hardly optimal, while you could do so reasonably well with an MP7 which can transform into a machine-pistol variant for one-handed firing. Too bad about that recent report which greatly criticized the 4.6mm round in favour of the 5.7mm round, though--was HK's quality control for its PDW ammunition just worse compared to FN's?

There's also the problem of the stopping power of these PDW cartridges in FMJ (and how in some cases they provide too much penetration in a LE context). While I'm sure all versions of PDW cartridges have hollow-point or other similar adaptations for better stopping power against unarmoured targets, military personnel have to abide by the Hague Convention. Given that the OpFor in this "low-intensity conflict" never wears body armour and the 10x25mm round's effectiveness in FMJ (otherwise why would it be a good handgun hunting round for medium-sized game?) but better range and energy retention than the .45 ACP, a Glock 20 could be a fine backup weapon when you have to use it (or when a pistol is all you're issued).

Here's one of the "Glock to PDW" conversions I mentioned earlier that includes a buttstock. I would prefer something like the return of the MP5/10 though. And if the Russians can turn the 9x19mm round into a PDW round with special powder and bullet configurations, then surely they can do better with the 10x25mm round which has more case room to work with and a harder-hitting bullet. Could be a step to making the infamous Pulse Rifle's ammunition a reality, at least in cartridge dimensions and armour-piercing capability.

Closer to the original topic, does anyone here own any of the pistols that were candidates for the JCP tests? How do the users here find them?