View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 12:47 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
I still think, though, that in all practicality, not factoring in intimidation, that the handgun is the best means of home defense. In a close environment, a shotgun is a bit bulky, low capacity, and LOUD to be using in your own house, not to mention the collateral damage it could cause should you have to shoot it. With a shotgun, I believe that if you can't deter someone by saying "I've got a shotgun, you better leave" or that monstrous racking sound, it's not worth it.

Still, they are fun guns and convenient to have should something more than a petty thief threaten your life, but any long gun should be supplemented with a decent sidearm, especially a shotgun. MT2008 has himself a good, shiny shotgun and an excellent pistol, so he's in good hands.
The SIG P226 will always be my nightstand gun, the one that I reach for if somebody's broken into my place (not very likely). The Mossberg is what I'll use if I hear somebody breaking into my car outside, or if there's some kind of disruption outside that is best broken up by the sound of a 12-gauge being cocked.