View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
If we are including the disclaimer at all, I think that implies our awareness of the film's controversy. People can always read more on Wikipedia or whatever.

Again, my preference is that we still try to stay as neutral as possible.
I agree, IMO any political discussion- left or right -on the imfdb site should be kept at a minimal level (something that can put into the rules in the 'principles' section if necessary).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
As well as what's already been mentioned, a key difference would be that Doom doesn't tell you that your school is full of evil, terrible people. There's a world of difference between Doom, which contains violence directed at zombies and demons from hell, and Redacted, which contains a hateful message directed at real people and has inspired people to attack the group it targets.

(Note: the idea that Harris ever made a model of Columbine in Doom has been thoroughly discredited: the Harris WADs are hard to find because most hosts took them down out of respect, but by all accounts the levels are only remarkable because of who made them, not what they are. Journalists then backpedalled to "looks like a school" which is true only insofar as that Harris' maps contain things like rooms and hallways)
I know, I was just throwing the DOOM example out as something that was brought up at the time as a cause of violence by the media, but in hindsight was not as relevant as it was portrayed at the time.