View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
(Although...theoretically, since there are people in the industry amongst the members, what about award screeners? I know there are rules regarding these screeners, but would taking screen caps be in violation of those rules?)
No screener use ever. I get screeners as well and I know voting members of the MPAA who get them. Those in no way can be EVER used in IMFDB. It's just a bad idea and screams "Pirate". (a) I actually PURCHASE the DVDs that I screencap and (b) when capped to illustrate an article about the film makes it at least tolerable as not being a craven use of the image. I only say this because there are many movie REVIEW sites who screencap shots from DVD releases to talk about the movie and review it (and the DVD as well, i.e. extras, etc.) They have never run into a copyright fight with the studios so far. Since we do the same, a scholarly article ABOUT facets of the film (i.e. weapons) we fall into a relatively similar category. Movie review sites, HOWEVER, only use studio RELEASED promotional materials when writing about any movie that is yet to be released or is in theatres now. They never bootleg images from a bootleg copy for their articles. We do the same. We only use publicly released trailers and promo stills for any movie that has NOT been released yet and then we wait until the DVD release to do screencaps.