View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 06:04 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Good characters and different formula made this great, most zombie movies are formulaic with stereotypical characters that are mostly 2d and emotionless. This was a refreshing difference.
What I like best is the way that this series conveys the psychological toll of the situation upon the characters (i.e. the guy who digs graves, the way that many of them become hard-drinkers when they enter the CDC, etc.) Even the love triangle, which is something I would find normally find boring and distracting, is done well.

In most other zombie stories, the drama would come from plot devices and the zombies themselves, and the characters would be mostly static (good guys are always brave and wise, self-serving cowards always act cowardly, etc.) Whereas the characters in this show all become changed - for either good or bad - regardless of how they start out. Shane (Jon Bernthal's character) goes from being a leader to an unstable, hot-headed alcoholic, while Daryl (Norman Reedus' character) is slowly becoming less of a racist misanthrope and more of a team player. At the same time, none of them change so much that it's unbelievable or out-of-character.