View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 01:32 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
My service weapon is a sig p229dak .40. It's reliable as hell but the DAtrigger is heavy (although smooth) and it has a weird reset (all the way forward is another 6.5lb pull, halfway point is 8.5???? I'd prefer a DA/SA trigger. When I turn 21 i'm going to go for a sig p220 elite. (regualr elite, that platinum series is strange, to say the least.)

I believe the p229 is superior to the 228, simply because It's availible in .40, and I'm not a 9mil guy.
Oh, yeah, I almost forgot that you guys are now being issued the P229 DAK. It's a good choice for a sidearm (as a SIG guy, I'm happy to see more branches of the armed forces ditching their Beretta M9s and going with SIGs).

That being said, the reason I like the P228 more than the P229 is because the P228 has the mandrel-stamped slide made in Germany, while the P229 has a CNC-milled slide made in the U.S. Nowadays, all of SIG's other guns (including the P220 and P226) also have slides made using this method. The reason SIG did this was mostly because they were cheaper to manufacture, and this allowed expanded sales volume.

The plus side is that the newer slides tend to be more durable. However, most SIG fans, including myself, find that the older German-made, stamped-slide guns are lighter, point better, and are more fun to shoot than the newer half-American guns. When I bought my P226, I compared one of the newer guns to one of the older German-made guns, and quickly found that I liked the feel of the German gun better. It's not a difference you'll notice if you're new to SIGs, but for longtime fans, the choice is a lot more obvious. I don't know many SIG fans who like the newer SIGs better than the older ones.