imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Just Guns (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Gun purchases thread. (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1842)

S&Wshooter 03-07-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 34416)
I've read about reliability issues with the 59 in a magazine and a handful of stories here and there, and the sights on later models are better. You're better off with a 2nd or 3rd gen model.

A quick bit of research shows that "reliability issues" = might have problems feeding non-ball ammo, might fire if dropped with a round chambered and the safety off

SPEMack618 03-08-2012 05:16 AM

I would like to have a 1076 for the sheer fact that, to me, that was the coolest gun ever issued by the FBI.

Yournamehere 03-09-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 34420)
A quick bit of research shows that "reliability issues" = might have problems feeding non-ball ammo, might fire if dropped with a round chambered and the safety off

I read in a reputable gun magazine where they fired a nickel plated Model 59 along with a Lorcin .25 and they said they'd take the Lorcin over it sheerly because it worked when they fed it ball ammo, the Model 59 did not. It's one article and one gun, but I've read about it's limited reliability from owners as well, at least next to later gen pistols. Would I buy one? If I were a rich man, yeah, it'd be a nice gun for a collection. Would I buy one over a 659? Never. I'd rather shell out the extra money for an evidently superior pistol.

S&Wshooter 03-11-2012 12:47 AM

The 459 is mine.

It's in way better condition than the one Collector's used for the pic. I'm talking near-mint condition, with only a tiny scuff near the muzzle.

The price was actually $475, too

The DA pull sucks, but the safety allows for cocked-and-locked carry

Yournamehere 03-11-2012 02:06 AM

You can't carry it cocked and locked, it's just a decocker. If it's like my 5906, there will be a small area in which you can have the safety engaged while the hammer still remains cocked, but the range is so small the safety can easily get knocked out of place as it's not meant to do this. I wouldn't recommend it.

S&Wshooter 03-11-2012 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 34444)
You can't carry it cocked and locked, it's just a decocker. If it's like my 5906, there will be a small area in which you can have the safety engaged while the hammer still remains cocked, but the range is so small the safety can easily get knocked out of place as it's not meant to do this. I wouldn't recommend it.

You have to give the decocker/safety more pressure than you do a 3rd gen's to get it to decock. It goes down smoothly w/o much resistance until the decocker/safety is just about all the way down

Excalibur 03-20-2012 03:18 AM

This is what my shotgun looks like now.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...1/GEDC0001.jpg

AdAstra2009 03-20-2012 10:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is what my shotgun looks like now.

predator20 03-30-2012 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got this one today. (had it shipped) Anyone care to guess the cartridge?

Excalibur 03-30-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 34619)

If you are asking us to guess, it can't be a .45. So I'm going to say 10mm?

Spades of Columbia 03-30-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 34619)

.38 Super?

predator20 03-30-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 34620)
If you are asking us to guess, it can't be a .45. So I'm going to say 10mm?

No that's not it. Though I wouldn't mind picking up a Delta Elite in the future.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia (Post 34621)
.38 Super?

Yup that's it. I was going to bid on one chambered in 9x23 Win, that also included a 38 Super conversion. But the bidding got way out of line and I'd rather have a factory fitted 38 Super anyway. I did buy a 9x23 conversion barrel, but from what I read some didn't see any accuracy change from shooting 9x23 in a 38 Super barrel, compared to a standard 9x23 barrel.

The wood grips while decent, the grip screws didn't recess in enough. So it has the factory rubber grips on it for now. Got a sweet trigger too, just under 4 lbs.

The Wierd It 03-30-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia (Post 34621)
.38 Super?

That'd certainly be my choice for one of these (in the magical hypothetical world where this is all legal :p) on account of my hands and wrists being too bloody small to handle a proper .45.

S&Wshooter 03-31-2012 12:48 AM

I checked on my AK74 order today, and I'm going to have to wait at least three more weeks before Interarms is even ready to ship, because they are having trouble getting the parts needed to build the rifle.

I'm going to give Interarms a call later and see what exactly is going on.

S&Wshooter 04-03-2012 01:28 AM

I stumbled upon a 20 rounder for my 459 and 6906 while at a gunstore in Pasadena with my father, so I bought it

I also picked up a box of Remington Golden Saber for my 4506

predator20 04-03-2012 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 34633)
I stumbled upon a 20 rounder for my 459 and 6906 while at a gunstore in Pasadena with my father, so I bought it

I also picked up a box of Remington Golden Saber for my 4506

Was it a Mec-Gar? Not sure I would trust a no name brand. I recently switched to Golden Saber for my nines. Still have plenty of Gold Dot for the 45s.

S&Wshooter 04-03-2012 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator20 (Post 34635)
Was it a Mec-Gar? Not sure I would trust a no name brand. I recently switched to Golden Saber for my nines. Still have plenty of Gold Dot for the 45s.

It was like $10, so it's not a big deal if it doesn't work well

If I were going to actually use the gun for HD or anything serious, I will stick to factory mags

mpe2010 04-15-2012 01:07 AM

My one goal in 2011 was to buy a 1911 and that never happened. As an early birthday gift, me and my dad ordered a Springfield Mil Spec from gunbroker. I had it singled down to a Springfield or a Remington R1 and after holding the R1 it just didnt feel quite right and the Springfield had a better trigger. I think I made the right choice. I will get pics up when i can.

Spades of Columbia 04-20-2012 01:55 AM

OHHH MY GOD!!! I bought a Kel Tec KSG today and i am so freakin HAPPY!!!!...I did have to sell my new PPs-43c, my new Zastava M57, and a Mossberg 500 Cruiser Tactical to get it, but totally worth it. So this weekend I will find out if its possible to shoot with a hard on ;)

ohh and i put a set of magpul fold down sights on it and its even more badass!

Excalibur 04-20-2012 03:21 AM

Is it any good? Photos as soon as possible

Spades of Columbia 04-24-2012 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got to shoot it yesterday and i love it! A little heavy on the recoil but totally worth it. Never jamed up and the light tactical forgrip didnt hurt the plastic rail at all. Very accurate with the magpul sights past 25 yards...was able to kill one plastic bottle without hurting the surrounding plastic bottles with a 6 shot

k9870 04-27-2012 02:23 PM

Got a 686p 4 inch, ordered some pachmayr presentations, the nw SW grips have much less pronounced finger grooves but there still there and overall grip is a tad small, i want a more hand filling and groove free grip

predator20 04-28-2012 07:15 PM

Marlin 1895 in .45-70. Not the actual one I bought. Couldn't upload a pic of it for some reason. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=283484448

Yournamehere 05-03-2012 02:16 AM

Technically I traded for it but I finally got my hands on a S&W Model 60 No Dash.

http://i.imgur.com/n6JLV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/w0yWq.jpg

I really like the Pachmayr Compac grip, it works really well with my size hands and it looks really good.

S&Wshooter 05-03-2012 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 34957)
Technically I traded for it but I finally got my hands on a S&W Model 60 No Dash.

Nice. My grandfather is leaving his Model 60 to me when he goes

What did you trade to get it?

Yournamehere 05-03-2012 02:30 AM

I handed over My Springfield GI (kept the wood grips it came with and the cleaning rod, love that cleaning rod) and My Remington 870 (kept the stock and put the derpy Thompson pistol grip on). I didn't really like either gun nor did they fill any sort of niche for me so it was an easy trade. I really look forward to shopping for the little bugger.

S&Wshooter 05-03-2012 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 34960)
I handed over My Springfiled GI (kept the wood grips it came with and the cleaning rod, love that cleaning rod) and My Remington 870 (kept the stock and put the derpy Thompson pistol grip on). I didn't really like either gun nor did they fill any sort of niche for me so it was an easy trade. I really look forward to shopping for the little bugger.

Did you get anything else in the trade?

Yournamehere 05-03-2012 02:55 AM

Unfortunately no, I asked if it came with the box, papers or the original grips and it didn't. Still, considering trade in value is what it is I think I did alright, especially considering I now have a legitimate carry gun for when I get my permit versus a Brazilian range toy waiting to rust and a Cerberus shotgun.

S&Wshooter 05-03-2012 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 34962)
Unfortunately no, I asked if it came with the box, papers or the original grips and it didn't. Still, considering trade in value is what it is I think I did alright, especially considering I now have a legitimate carry gun for when I get my permit versus a Brazilian range toy waiting to rust and a Cerberus shotgun.

That's a tough break, there. They ought to have at least gave you a bunch of ammo for it, seeing as you just gave them two guns for one

Yournamehere 05-03-2012 03:31 AM

Not really, the numbers add up. They gave me well more than half of what each gun was worth which is usually what a shop will do in a trade, and he waved the background check fee too. It's a pretty small shop too, I don't even think they carry ammo, but they had a lot of nice classic S&W guns including a 559 in great condition. Blew my mind that they had one.

S&Wshooter 05-03-2012 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 34965)
Not really, the numbers add up. They gave me well more than half of what each gun was worth which is usually what a shop will do in a trade, and he waved the background check fee too. It's a pretty small shop too, I don't even think they carry ammo, but they had a lot of nice classic S&W guns including a 559 in great condition. Blew my mind that they had one.

I rarely see any shops carrying older S&W's (other than Collector's). It seems people around here tend to hold on to them

Hell, I can barely find used Smiths anymore. It's always been that way, but up until a few years ago, the gunshows were absolutely littered with .40 caliber 3rd gen's (I'm guessing that most of them were former service pistols, based on the number of policemen around here that carry them, and the fact that many switched to Glocks)

predator20 05-03-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 34960)
I handed over My Springfield GI (kept the wood grips it came with and the cleaning rod, love that cleaning rod) and My Remington 870 (kept the stock and put the derpy Thompson pistol grip on). I didn't really like either gun nor did they fill any sort of niche for me so it was an easy trade. I really look forward to shopping for the little bugger.

That wasn't too bad of a trade I guess, older Smiths do command a good price. Does your state allow private firearm sales? I know not everyone is comfortable with that though, but you usually come out better money wise.

I was surprised when I traded my G19 for the Model 60 I have now he went straight up. The M60 had only been there a few hours and he was asking $430 for it.

Yournamehere 05-03-2012 10:55 PM

I've listed my 1911 for sale a couple times and I didn't get any bites, and the 870, well, you can get them new just about anywhere for not much more than a used price. I may have saved 100, maybe 200 bucks in the process but it was too much work to try, and no telling how lone the Model 60 would have stayed in his shop. It worked out well enough in the end for me, and I can still sell off the remaining trinkets from the guns to get a little more money.

predator20 05-03-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 34977)
I've listed my 1911 for sale a couple times and I didn't get any bites, and the 870, well, you can get them new just about anywhere for not much more than a used price. I may have saved 100, maybe 200 bucks in the process but it was too much work to try, and no telling how lone the Model 60 would have stayed in his shop. It worked out well enough in the end for me, and I can still sell off the remaining trinkets from the guns to get a little more money.

Where did you list it, armslist?

Spades of Columbia 05-04-2012 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 34965)

Waved the background check fee? Gun shops in your state actually have that? But thats a pretty good trade since a pre-owned 870 should be around $150-$200 trade-in and a GI 45 should bring around $300 in a trade-in value.

Yournamehere 05-04-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia (Post 34981)
Waved the background check fee? Gun shops in your state actually have that?

Yes there's a 10 dollar fee in Oregon for a background check, but it's an instant check so you get the gun the same day. In Florida where I'm from, you used to have to pay the fee AND wait 5 days, so I'm not complaining, especially since this time I didn't have to pay it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia (Post 34981)
But thats a pretty good trade since a pre-owned 870 should be around $150-$200 trade-in and a GI 45 should bring around $300 in a trade-in value.

That's pretty much exactly how I felt with regard to the numbers which is why I'm happy with it.

S&Wshooter 05-04-2012 05:28 PM

50 rounds of 9mm
50 rounds of .45 ACP
50 rounds of .38 Special

Yournamehere 05-05-2012 01:14 AM

Got some Safariland COMP-1 speedloaders to try out as well as a DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster and a Wilson Combat spring kit. I'm gonna replace the rebound slide spring to hopefully lighten the DA pull since it's ridiculously heavy right now and the serrations actually cause a bit of pain on break. I may get a trigger job on it as well if my local gunsmith will quote me a good price. Not really sure on the pocket holster given the relative heft of the gun (it's not my Hi-Power but I can see why people rationalize Airweights now) but it was cheap so I thought I'd give it a try. For a legitimate carry holster I'm torn between a Galco Summer Comfort IWB or the Galco Classic Lite shoulder rig. Thinking about standard pressure .38 loads as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 34991)
50 rounds of 9mm
50 rounds of .45 ACP
50 rounds of .38 Special

Did you get the .38 Special for your 686?

S&Wshooter 05-05-2012 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yournamehere (Post 35000)
Did you get the .38 Special for your 686?

I got it to use in any of the three guns in the house that fire .38 special. Most of what we have are wadcutters or high pressure loads, and I figured it would be nice to have some normal .38's

S&Wshooter 05-05-2012 05:56 PM

All that ammo already arrived. I guess that is what happens when you buy from a place only an hour or two away from where you live