imfdb.org

imfdb.org (http://forum.imfdb.org/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.imfdb.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   12/20/11 States loosen concealed carry gun laws, USA TODAY (http://forum.imfdb.org/showthread.php?t=1903)

BeardedHoplite 01-04-2012 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S&Wshooter (Post 33761)
"Break in" and "wander in" are two very different things

That doesn't change the idea that entering a home unwanted shouldn't be like crossing the warning wire in a German POW camp. Like I said, if the guy overtly threatens you or has is armed, fell free to pull Castle doctrine. Anything less than that, pointing the gun at the guy until the police arrive should do the job easily.

The Wierd It 01-04-2012 10:39 AM

Isn't this why it's taught to keep whatever weapon you're using for this un-chambered? Since hearing a weapon go into battery behind their head is a good way to make most opportunists piss themselves.

k9870 01-04-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wierd It (Post 33765)
Isn't this why it's taught to keep whatever weapon you're using for this un-chambered? Since hearing a weapon go into battery behind their head is a good way to make most opportunists piss themselves.

No just some people think chambered guns "go off."

Unchambered guns is a good idea if there is even a slight chance a kid will get to your gun.

mpe2010 01-05-2012 12:42 AM

Or just teach the kid gun safety and never worry about it.

S&Wshooter 01-05-2012 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardedHoplite (Post 33763)
That doesn't change the idea that entering a home unwanted shouldn't be like crossing the warning wire in a German POW camp. Like I said, if the guy overtly threatens you or has is armed, fell free to pull Castle doctrine. Anything less than that, pointing the gun at the guy until the police arrive should do the job easily.

Someone walks into my house "accidentally" = Get yelled at
Someone kicks in a window or door = Shot until they fall over

I'm not taking any chances, now that home invasions ending with violence against the homeowner have been on the rise in my area.

k9870 01-05-2012 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpe2010 (Post 33770)
Or just teach the kid gun safety and never worry about it.

Your own kids thats one thing are you going to give a gun safety lesson to every kid who walks in the door?

Quote:

Someone walks into my house "accidentally" = Get yelled at
Someone kicks in a window or door = Shot until they fall over

I'm not taking any chances, now that home invasions ending with violence against the homeowner have been on the rise in my area.
If you see a weapon or they are close enough to hurt you shoot, dont just open fire. Killing someone is a whole mess of legal problems not to mention the emotional toll. If im in a position to end a confrontation without lethal force im going to.

Excalibur 01-05-2012 05:53 AM

One of my best buddies, a former Marine now a cop has 2 kids, both 5 years old and he's been teaching them about gun safety and will probably keep teaching them until they are old enough to own a gun. And yeah if your kids are going to bring other kids into your house, you'd expect your children to have been taught by you and/or keep your guns secured. Unless you told your kids the combination to your safes too.

If you are NOT using the gun and it isn't your right next to the bed gun, then yeah, keeping it unloaded is a good idea, otherwise the oil you put in there for storing will bleed all over your ammo.

k9870 01-05-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 33777)
One of my best buddies, a former Marine now a cop has 2 kids, both 5 years old and he's been teaching them about gun safety and will probably keep teaching them until they are old enough to own a gun. And yeah if your kids are going to bring other kids into your house, you'd expect your children to have been taught by you and/or keep your guns secured. Unless you told your kids the combination to your safes too.

If you are NOT using the gun and it isn't your right next to the bed gun, then yeah, keeping it unloaded is a good idea, otherwise the oil you put in there for storing will bleed all over your ammo.

My bedside gun is unchambered but has the mag in it.

Excalibur 01-05-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k9870 (Post 33779)
My bedside gun is unchambered but has the mag in it.

Every second counts. What are you afraid of? My gun is my 1911 and it has an external safety. I pick it up and instinctively flick the safety off and bam. Don't have to charge it or anything else and I got one extra round already in the chamber.

k9870 01-05-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalibur (Post 33780)
Every second counts. What are you afraid of? My gun is my 1911 and it has an external safety. I pick it up and instinctively flick the safety off and bam. Don't have to charge it or anything else and I got one extra round already in the chamber.

isn't my house i just live here, i cant control who comes in, even if its hidden i dont want someone to find it and do something stupid. besides theres enough doors between my front entranc eand my room to chamber a round, i shoot better SA anyway too.